Baked French Fries
We believe that most of people like eating french fries, whether you are children or adults. So learning how to make french fries from potatoes is an important life skill that you’ll be happy to have in your arsenal.
Recently, we find a recipe of baking french fries, which not only makes french fries tasty, but also it’s healthier. How to get the crispy baked fries that were golden on the outside and tender on the inside, all for a minimum amount of effort?
Firstly, we should know four basic tips.
1. Use Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Both russet and Yukon gold potatoes are good, but the final texture of the baked fries made with Yukon golds is better.
- While both potato varieties crisped nicely on the outsides, I found the insides of the russets to be drier, while the oven fries made with the Yukon golds were more tender and creamy.
- You may also see Yukon gold potatoes labeled simply “gold” or “yellow” potatoes at the grocery store.
- A potato labeled “Idaho” typically refers to russet.
- If you’ve ever had double-fried french fries (HEAVEN. It’s how the Pioneer Woman does hers. Could there be a better endorsement?), the concept is the same. Cooking the fries once at a lower temperature than again at a higher temperature creates the ultimate inner and outer texture, whether the fries are deep fried or oven baked.
- While the potatoes soak in very hot water, they cook just enough to ensure the insides become nice and tender, while the outsides crisp but do not burn.
- Some recipes may call for you to soak the potatoes in salt water instead. When you soak potatoes in salt water, the moisture from inside the potato is pulled out, resulting in a mushy, unappealing result. Stick with unsalted water for the best baked French fries.
3. Don’t skimp on the oil
- To make crispy French fries from scratch you need oil to help the potatoes crisp up in the oven and give them a hint of that familiar french fry flavor.
- You can use grapeseed oil or canola oil instead of olive oil.
A critical component to perfect baked fries is seasoning.
- Basic salt and pepper will do, but feel free to vary it up.
- Season both before the potatoes go into the oven, then after they come out to taste. An under seasoned potato is a bland potato, even in fry form.
After remember that, we can start to cook.
Recipe step overview
- Coat a baking sheet with olive oil to protect against potato stick-age.
- Clean your potatoes (I leave the peels on) and slice them into 1/4-inch-wide sticks.
- Soak the potatoes in hot water. (Remember, this step is worth it)
- Drain and dry the potatoes. Toss them with the remaining oil and spices until coated, then place them on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the fries, and move them into a single layer. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until they’re as crispy as you like. Sprinkle with some extra salt to taste. DIG IN!
Potatoes contain fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6. All good things our bodies need! At the same time, if you like eating french fries, being used to making french fries by yourselves, we extremely recommend this french fry cutter which can increase your cooking efficiency to a great extent.
Why do we like this french fry cutter?
- Food safety
This Geedel french fry cutter is made of food grade ABS material, non-toxic and BPA free, cutting potatoes into 3/8 inches in a second.
- Dishwasher safe
Cleaning is easy as well as fast! We can just put it under the running water or place it in the dishwasher to clean.
- Safe operation
Unique design of potato cutter protects you from touching the blades, so there’s no doubt that we won’t be hurt while cutting.
- Effective and durable
It offers double side cutting and 420 surgical stainless steel blades, cutting faster, easier and no easy damaged.
- Detachable design
It is easy to set up and disassemble, saving storage and cleaning easily.
With this french fry cutter, slicing is so effective and effortless, so making french fries or cooking other dishes don’t need to take too much time any more!